A much-needed blend of versatility and usability for frequent backcountry users.
Trek out into the untouched white world with the ARVA Axis Avalanche Beacon so you're equipped with its simplicity during multiple burial scenarios and to keep yourself covered with its new safety features. Three antennas provide digital or analog searching, while the advanced easy-to-read LCD display guides you through the primary, secondary, and pinpoint search. While in search mode, a motion sensor picks up your movements and switches you back into transmit in case you get buried in a secondary slide.
- An average digital search band width of 50m lets you sweep the debris field without missing a signal; there's also an all analog mode to utilize a wider search range
- In its detailed LCD display, the Axis detects multiple victims simultaneously and displays them in a list, you then mark victims as you locate them
- Arrows and distance values guide you to the signal using three different levels of search, including a four-arrow pinpoint search graphic to get you within probe range
- A motion detector switches the Axis back into transmit if you get caught in a slide during a search and stop moving for four minutes (****Never remove your beacon during a search!!!)
- A standby mode keeps you out of both transmit mode and search mode if you're probing or digging, while still keeping you safe with the motion sensor
- The group check function lets you simultaneously locate everyone's beacon at the trailhead so you know everyone is beeping and compatible
Share your thoughts
It's good. But it could be better. It went a bit crazy at the initial lock onto the beacon it is looking for, but once it locks on properly it won't lose the signal. However, the Mammut Element would be faster.