A backcountry suit of armor.
Burton designed the AK 3L Gore-Tex Hover Jacket for the serious backcountry badass who needs his equipment to be lightweight, comfortable and, above all, super-durable. When you're off the resort and off the grid, an equipment failure can mean your ass, so you can't risk it. With the tough, lightweight Hover, you can concentrate on the riding at hand, knowing that your jacket will hold up to the abuse.
- Guaranteed waterproof breathable Gore-Tex membrane keeps you keeps moisture out from the outside and allows vapor to escape to keep you from feeling clammy
- Low-profile, micro-adjustable hood for added protection with a custom fit
- Pack-friendly seams let you rack up tons of time in the backcountry without shredding your jacket
- Water-resistant zippers and full seam-taping to eliminate waterproof weak spots
- Underarm zip vents allow you to cool down quickly
- Ziippered, microfleece-lined handwarmer pockets comfortably bring your digits back into the comfort zone
- Waist gaiter with jacket-pant interface to completely seal out the deep stuff
- Articulated sleeves for a natural feel
- Pocket access hem cinch to seal out drafts without snagging trees and whatnot
- Adjustable cuff closures seal drafts from your sleeves
- Dedicated goggle/media pocket protects your valuable electronics and eyewear
- Pass pocket for easy access to lift pass
- Pocket key clip keeps you from being stranded in the parking lot
Share your thoughts
does the collar have any fleece facing on...
does the collar have any fleece facing on the interior?
Bomber Pro-shell Gore-tex Jacket
- Gender: Male
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This is the best backcountry snowboarding jacket I've owned to date. The Gore-tex pro-shell and zippers are bomb-proof. The fit is perfect and the jacket looks awesome. The only thing that I don't like is the size of the hood (it's on the small side) but if you size up it's not as much an issue. I'm 5'10" 165lbs and a size small fits perfectly with enough room to layer. Go up in size if you like a baggier fit.
You really can't go wrong with AK. The higher price-point fabric is definitely worth it. This is an excellent jacket that's worth the money.
Super Burly Jacket
This is an excellent resort jacket. Its super tough GORE TEX Pro shell will hold up to anything. After a couple years of slamming into branches and sliding over rocks there's not a rip or tear to show for it. The shell is really warm and still going strong in the waterproof area. My only complaint is that it doesn't pack down very small so its not my choice for backcountry days, but that's the price you pay for the durability. My brand new arcteryx ripped right away where this jacket would have held up to the rock I hit.
Perfect kit !
- Gender: Male
I love everything abou this jacket except 2 very minor points.
1) The main zipper is a little weird and sometimes takes some extra effort to close. I believe this is because everything is brand new and will self-adjust over time.
2) The phone pocket inside the jacket is far too small for my Galaxy Nexus and my headphones plugged in. I couldn't imagine what people with an iPhone 5 or Evo X or something like that are going to do.
Hover jacket Front View
Everything the mountain can dish out
Now reinforced with a burlier exterior, the men's Burton [ak] 3L Hover Jacket is an ultra-light, packable GORE-TEX� shell that?s streamlined down to the stitching.Fully GORE-SEAM� taped 3L fabric seals out hammering storms, but allows the body to breathe when bootpacking up or ripping down. A logical pocket array keeps essentials safely stowed for long days of sledding or splitboarding, and NEW Powder Gasket Cuffs seal out snow when strapping in or shoveling. Tested and respected by mountain professionals worldwide, no wonder this is the top choice for Terje Haakonsen, Jeremy Jones, and Jussi Oksanen.
AK 3L hover Jacket
Mens AK 3L Hover Jacket - Side View
AK 3L hover Jacket
yeah. this is an awesome shell. runs really big. so i sized down. 6.1 215 pounds and i have a medium.. but it fits perfect. it's long and still plenty of room to layer but it runs hot anyway so you don't need much. the zipper is huge and it's very stylish. i love this thing! And... it's pro shell enjoy!
As a disclaimer, I am affiliated with Gore for product testing of Gore-tex products for the purpose of product review and recommendation. I do receive items from Gore for these purposes.
This is a great technical shell. It has a perfect amount of room for multiple types of layers without being too tight or baggy. With a T shirt, it works and looks great for warm weather rain. For cold weather layering, I could fit a Patagonia hooded down sweater on with a fleece on and not feel too bulked up or restricted. The 3L facbric and inner lining material is very durable and smooth. Layers slide in and out easily.
The YKK zippers are similar to previous RIRI zippers, except the teeth are smaller and the zip is cleaner and smoother. They are also more flexible which is great when sitting or bending over.
The jacket has a great cut and does not ride up at the hip or sleeves when reaching etc. The internal pow cuffs are a nice feature when wearing it, but I have big meat hooks and when I pull my hands out, they get caught in the pow sleeve and end up pulling the sleeve inside out. Minor complaint- can always cut them off. The jacket zips up perfectly around the face and hasa high collar. The hood is very adjustable. Between the two, no snow is going down your neck. I am 6'2, 200lbs and have a 45" chest. The xl fits like a dream. I also have a big chin and can fit my face in fine behind the collar-just a perfect amount of space.
The jacket works well while wearing a backpack. All zippered pockets are accessible with a pack on. I also can fit one splitboard skin (G3) into each chest pocket. There is an interior fleece pocket for an ipod etc. which is a nice feature. Underarm pit zips are not meshlined, but open and close well with a smooth zipper.
Overall- great technical shell that can be worn 4 seasons. The material is a great choice and the fit allows for technical applications but also has style- not a tight tele-skiing Arc'teryx style!