Simple on the outside and dialed on the inside.
Some might label the RED Avid Helmet a minimalist snowboarding lid based on its looks, but that label would be misleading given the Avid's rich set of features that include a micro-adjustable fit, ample ventilation, and ultra-lightweight construction. Inside and out, this is one tough, supremely comfortable winter lid that was designed for all-day shredding. If you must label it with an 'm' word, we would suggest the word masterpiece.
- In-Mold helmet construction bonds internal padding directly to a polycarbonate shell which creates a lightweight and highly effective package
- Airvanced Ventilation is an adjustable airflow venting system that allows you to open and close a set of top vents with a sliding toggle at the upper back of the helmet
- Airband Fit System is an air-filled headband that contours to the fit of your head as you either add or remove air from the system using a small, integrated pump button or release valve
- Fleece lining on the Airband headband adds comfort and warmth
- Quick Clip ear pads snap in and out of the helmet so you can use the pads for extra warmth in the winter and take the pads out for the summer
- REDphones technology allows you to slide a pair of RED modular drivers (speakers, sold separately) in the ear pad area to create a secure and fully integrated audio system
Share your thoughts
Does the Avid really have the Airband Fit...
Does the Avid really have the Airband Fit System? Everything I can find says that it doesn't. Anyone with this helmet, if you could please enlighten me. Thanks!
One major flaw.
- Familiarity: I've put it through the wringer
It does its job. Fits fine. Comfortable enough. I'm sure it will protect my head just as well as a more expensive helmet. But the goggle clip is open at the bottom leaving the goggle strap to slide down. This is incredibly annoying.
Without Goggle Gasket
Here's a photo without the goggle gasket. Refer to the previous picture to see the helmet with the gasket.
Here's a picture of the Goggle Gasket I was talking about. It fills the gap between your goggles and helmet - no more cold forehead; no more sunburned forehead!
Cool features,very adjustable, size UP
- Familiarity: I've used it several times
This helmet is what I need. I really like how adjustable the helmet is. I have the 2011 model, so I'm not sure how the airband fit system works, but I'm sure it's great. One of my favorite features is a supplied "goggle gasket." This is a piece of windproof material you can add to the front of the helmet to act as a layer between the top of your goggles an helmet. Say goodbye to a cold forehead and the awkward sunburn on your forehead!
This helmet is also pretty warm and ventilated well. You get 4 adjustable vents - they're pretty small and make a minor difference, but they're still nice to have.
Also, the helmet holds goggles in place pretty well.
Oh, you can also buy things to make the earpieces pump out music. I haven't used it, but it's a cool concept.
IMPORTANT: Size UP. According to the current size chart, I should be an XS, but S fits me best. I have a 54cm head and S fits perfectly.
Sizes are not accurate
- Familiarity: I returned this product before using it
I just measured my son's head, it's approximately 22.5', which according to the size charts provided should fit him. However, the M size helmet I ordered for him is too tight. We'll see how the L fits. Other than that it seems like a nice helmet. Maybe I'll upgrade my recommendation when we see how the L size works out.
What goggles work best with a red avid...
What goggles work best with a red avid helmet
Awesum, exactly as expected!